A revolutionary reading program that teaches phonics, spelling, and writing through keyboarding
Read, Write & Type’s approach to reading and writing is based on a simple idea: Text is speech made visible. We use our mouths to talk, to make the sounds of words. We use our fingers (with a pencil or keyboard) to represent those sounds on paper. Spelling out words develops fluent phonics skills and is a powerful route to reading.
RWT is designed for Kindergarten to 1st grade early readers, ESL early readers, and Kindergarten to 3rd grade struggling readers. It provides a balanced approach to reading and writing and is based on years of brain and reading research.
The objectives of this program are, for each child, to
- develop awareness of all 40 phonemes in English and identify them in words
- associate each phoneme with letter(s) and fingerstroke(s) on the keyboard
- develop fluent ability to sound-out (encode) and type any regularly-spelled word
- develop fluent ability to read (decode) any regularly-spelled words
- develop ability to use the keyboard with the correct fingers
- enhance vocabulary and spelling
- develop correct usage of punctuation and capitalization
- enjoy the process of learning how to read, write and type
Read, Write & Type! keeps students engaged
Colorful characters help children use their eyes, ears, mouths, and fingers to develop reading and writing skills through multiple learning strategies.
Multi-sensory and multi-motor games help students develop related skills of spelling, writing, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
Story-based lessons where children are heroes who fearlessly and confidently tackle new sounds and words in order to solve problems.
Read, Write & Type! provides tools for teachers
Lesson plans and activities for over 40 lessons as well as an Activity Book with ideas for supporting classroom activities.
Scope and sequence of all the skills and concepts, such as phonics, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization covered in the program.
Progress assessment and tracking tools that will help identify and provide suggestions for overcoming weaknesses.